INSPIRE Data Specifications Special Interest Group

Group discussion > Mineral resources

Mineral resources

INSPIRE Forum
2870 days ago

The INSPIRE Drafting Team for Data Specifications has drafted the description and scope for the theme 'Mineral resources'.

Is there any European initiative or obligation in your country with a particular requirement related to this theme? We invite you to provide your comments on this description and scope, providing the rationale for any changes you propose and uploading related material if possible.

The INSPIRE Thematic Working Groups, who will elaborate the guidance documents as a base for the INSPIRE Implementing Rules and support for the implementation, will use these discussions as a basis for their work.

Note: Related material can be uploaded to the files section. Please use the title of the discussion as one of the tags for the file.

Dan Olausson
1433 days ago

I am trying to publish our records of mines with DataSpecs v3.0r3. Mineral resources is out of my area and I don't understand some of the relations in the schema. Could anybody explain these statements from the UML-schema?

• A mine must have at least one related activity with description of how and when it was used.
  • A mining-activity don't need an associated mine.

I would understand the opposite. That you could have a mine but not knowing what activities that has been conducted there. But describing some activities without the mine sounds strange to me.

Robert Tomas
1420 days ago

Hi Dan, a mining activity needs a mine - the Assiciation role "associatedMine" has the multiplicity 1 - meaning that there has to be a mine.

In the feature catalogue (Chapter 5.3.2 of the Data specs v3.0rc3 the description of the associatedMine role is by accident missing, but you can see the right multiplicity in the UML diagrams of the same document (Chapter 5.3 figure 5)

All the best

Robert

Dan Olausson
1418 days ago

Hi Robert

I must first thank you for responding to my question. I started to think this forum was dead. 

We had an consultant with a background in geology here the other day and he explained that the schema was originating from earthresourceML. With the perspective from the resource the activity is interesting but the mine is of less interest. It was just a matter of perspective and I was looking the wrong way. 

Took an other look in the specs (v3.0rc3). Take a look under 5.3.2.1.6. MinigActivity. There are actually two assosiated roles named "associatedMine" between the two roles "deposit". Not shure if it is ok to find it amusing but I cant help it. 

What schema will you use to publich the mineralresources? Since there is no working Inspire-schema my idea was to use EarthresourceML.

Robert Tomas
1413 days ago

Hi Dan,

the duplicity has already ben spotted - but thank you anyway.

We are about to publish the data specs version 3.0 including the updated schema files (XSDs).

Yes, the EarthResourceML was the base for the INSPIRE MR data specs as well as GeoSciML for geology. We are now updating the links (mapping tables guidelines how to use it etc..) all should be in the final version 3.0 of the data specs..

Cheers.

Robert

Dan Olausson
1407 days ago

Hi Robert

I do understand that writing a specification of this kind is almost impossible. You all are doing a great job.

Will be great with updated XSDs! I so look forward to see them but please take your time. Go through the files manually, to see that they are working and reflects what you tried to describe in the UMLs.

Thanks